Sep 29, 2010

Permission to Speak Freely


This fall I'm going to go on a mini tour with author Anne Jackson to promote her new book, Permission to Speak Freely.  Have you heard of Post Secret?  A blogger invites people to send postcards detailing some deep dark secret they're afraid to tell others.  The blogger puts them up on  his blog. People have submitted some wild secrets: funny, tragic, poignant.  And their art is pretty amazing too. Post Secret blog has taken off and the blogger published a book. 

Anne was taken by the idea. So she asked her fans and readers this question:
What's the one thing you don't feel safe to talk about in church?
People sent in their responses. Anne's book features those original post cards, as well as her own essays, poetry, and story about her own secrets.  The secrets she wasn't allowed to share in the one place we should all feel safe to be our whole selves, warts and all: church.


Permission to Speak Freely Tour this fall.

We've got a few dates schedule in the Pacific Northwest, a few in the midwest. We'd love to go more places, so if you think your church would benefit from us stopping by, please contact Chaffee Management.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come to Cincinnati!!!! I need another coffee date :)

Simone said...

what a great idea. i'm having trouble viewing the video. do you have any dates in LA?

Susan Isaacs said...

Hey Simone! None in LA county so far, but we have one date set up in Irvine on November 1 at Mariner's Church. http://www.marinerschurch.org/ I have some details on my website: www.susanisaacs.net/events.html

Amber O said...

Love, love, love this idea. I've just ordered Ms. Jackson's book. I hope y'all expand your tour to include some southeastern cities. Huntsville, AL is lovely this time of year...

Anonymous said...

Definitely attending the one at Mariners. Thanks for the info.
By the way, LOVED your Angry Conversations book. I especially loved the "gold teeth" part when you asked the pastor..."if God is God, wouldn't he just turn their teeth back into teeth?" Wow!! Loved it. I'm a pastor's kid and I have MANY stories like yours. Your book was laugh-out-loud funny for me AND my mother. My dad would've laughed too, but he died 20 years ago. I always say it was the church that killed him. Totally in gest, of course.

Susan Isaacs said...

Ann: Thank you so much! Gold teeth really happened. Though you're a PK, I don't need to convince you. You know Anne Jackson's a PK too. You will love her book and this show we are doing. Sorry to hear about your dad. What you say jokingly there's probably some truth to. Lord have mercy on us ....

Anonymous said...

Susan, What time is the event at Mariners? I called the church and the didn't have the info nor was it on their web site.
And...trust me, my comment about his death was NOT only in gest. The "church" can be a very ugly yet wonderful place.

Susan Isaacs said...

Hi Ann: here's what I know: Mariners show is Monday night, Nov. 1, 7pm. And here is a link to the tickets: http://www.itickets.com/tours/969.html You will love Anne. She's gonna talk about that horrible wonderful thing of growing up PK.

Anonymous said...

Alrighty...sorry to be annoying, but I REALLY want to go to this AND it's not listed on the itickets link. Am I missing something? I saw that you'll be in Salem, OR on 11/9, which is where my mom lives, so she's already signed up, but still no Mariners listing and the church doesn't seem to know about it either. Hmmmmm...

Susan Isaacs said...

Hey Ann: that is totally weird. I was quite sure the Mariners show is happening. It's on my books. It may not have been finalized though the proper circles and for that reason it isn't up there yet. I KNOW mariners church loves Anne, and they and plan on having us. let me find out what the hold up is.

Susan Isaacs said...

Hey Ann: It's definitely on. Try this link. http://www.itickets.com/events/251412.html

Post a Comment