Feb 23, 2008

Oscarpalooza


I stopped watching awards shows. It costs me 3 hours of my life, and unless I'm watching in a group, I'd rather live those three hours, and get the 5-minute wrap up later that night. Besides, I can never remember who won what award from the previous year. Do you remember what won Best Picture last year? I had to look it up.

Our Small Group meets on Sunday afternoons. It's an arts and entertainment focused, so we invited everyone to stay after and watch. It's only fun with the running commentary. Tomorrow, we are voting on which book we're going to study for the next few months. Among the titles nominated: Simply Christian by N.T. Wright, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, by Peter Scazzero, The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and Sex God by Rob Bell. I don't know about you, but I think it would be a very rewarding experience to study The Cost of Discipleship while sitting in our hot tub. Provided our group stays small and we all wear speedos.

But back to awards shows. Our friend Dave Kopp's son, Neil Kopp, has been nominated for two Independent Spirit Awards, and is in Santa Monica today to attend the gala. He's been nominated for producing Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park, and the Piaget Producers Award for producing Paranoid Park and Old Joy. The kid is 28 years old. UPDATE: Neil WON the Piaget Producer's Award!

Larry and I haven't seen any of the nominated films. We've been too busy working on our own stuff. But we are going to go see Juno tonight. I hear all the characters talk the same way, they've all got those smart alecky comebacks you usually only think of after the fact. As the french call, "esprit d'escalier." Witty things you say when you're walking downstairs away from the target of your bon mot. One thing were told NOT to do in screenwriting school, was make every character sound the same, or sound smarter than they really were. And this movie is up for best screenplay. Well, esprit d'escalier ou non, Il dit que "Juno" est tres enchante. It's supposedly delightful. Even if the screenwriter was a stripper.

Tune in tomorrow and I'll tell you which book we chose. I'm voting for Simply Christian. I've already read it and loved it.

2 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Yes, Juno & friends are all just too brilliant and funny, still I couldn't resist Ellen Page.

Anonymous said...

I've gotta tell ya - "Michael Clayton" moves me very deeply. I find it to be transcendent. Not just entertainment, but something...spiritual. Even on DVD on our very small set at home we still have watched this movie twice over the past weekend.

and "Sex God?" worth the read, especially in a hot tub with people of developing intimacy - or not. Scratch the whole hot tub thing but keep the book.

Post a Comment