Oct 31, 2006

Donald Miller and Change


A couple years ago everyone was raving about this book Blue Like Jazz. I finally broke down and read it, and discovered a new favorite writer in Donald Miller.

I've been doing some research on these writers, and found the following excerpt of his book Through Painted Deserts, on the Barnes and Noble website. You can go and read more on the BN website. but whatever you do, read Don. I found this sublime. Especially what he says about change.

IT IS FALL HERE NOW, MY FAVORITE OF THE FOUR seasons. We get all four here, and they come at us under the doors, in through the windows. One morning you wake and need blankets; you take the fan out of the window to see clouds that mist out by midmorning, only to reveal a naked blue coolness like God yawning.

September is perfect Oregon. The blocks line up like postcards and the rosebuds bloom into themselves like children at bedtime. And in Portland we are proud of our roses; year after year, we are proud of them. When they are done, we sit in the parks and read stories into the air, whispering the gardens to sleep. ...

I remember the sweet sensation of leaving, years ago, some ten now, leaving Texas for who knows where. I could not have known about this beautiful place, the Oregon I have come to love, this city of great people, this smell of coffee and these evergreens reaching up into a mist of sky, these sunsets spilling over the west hills to slide a red glow down the streets of my town.

And I could not have known then that if I had been born here, I would have left here, gone someplace south to deal with horses, to get on some open land where you can see tomorrow's storm brewing over a high desert. I could not have known then that everybody, every person, has to leave, has to change like seasons; they have to or they die. The seasons remind me that I must keep changing, and I want to change because it is God's way. All my life I have been changing. I changed from a baby to a child, from soft toys to play daggers. I changed into a teenager to drive a car, into a worker to spend some money. I will change into a husband to love a woman, into a father to love a child, change houses so we are near water, and again so we are near mountains, and again so we are near friends, keep changing with my wife, getting our love so it dies and gets born again and again, like a garden, fed by four seasons, a cycle of change. Everybody has to change, or they expire. Everybody has to leave, everybody has to leave their home and come back so they can love it again for all new reasons.

2 comments:

Soulpadre said...

yeah, isn't he the best? and didn't you just love the confession rooms? That's the real deal!

Doug Perkins said...

As you probably know, I read what I think are all three of his books, including this one. Your husband Larry says he needs an editor, but we all agree he's a great writer. The interesting thing in this book (I think the earliest one) is how often he vasalates between interesting and quirky and just obnoxious - obviously written at a transitional time in his life, glad he outgrew the obnoxious ;-)

Post a Comment