Jul 21, 2006

Somebody Tell Me Who Kanye West Is


Rap is "not my bag, baby," As Austin Powers would say. I'm too old and too white. But I recently saw Dave Chappelle's Block Party and it gave me new respect for the genre. The musicians were amazing. So were the rappers, when I could actually understand what they were saying. Blame it on the sound quality. And like I said, I'm too old and too white. But I got to watch Kanye West perform Jesus Walks. If Jesus is in rap, I'm all over it.

Here's an excerpt from Jesus Walks

I ain't here to argue about His facial features,
or here to convert atheists into believers

I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis
that's the way y'all need Jesus
So here go my single dog, radio needs this!
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, videotape
But if I talk about God my record won't get played -- Huh?
Well if this takes away from my spins
-- which will probably take away from my ends --
Then I hope this take away from my sins
And bring the day that I'm dreaming about
Next time I'm in the club everybody screaming out --
(Jesus Walks) ...
God show me the way because the Devil trying to break me down
(Jesus walks with me)
The only thing that that I pray is that my feet don't fail me now

(Jesus walks)
And I don't think there is nothing I can do now to right my wrongs

(Jesus walks with me)
I want to talk to God but I'm afraid cuz we ain't spoke in so long


We're playing that at my wedding reception
Get your whiteass freak on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Kanye, but I do know that the music magazine writers seem to like to allude to him having a superior attitude. Well, he might be a new Christian or an always Christian just speaking up or somewhere in between, but overall he seems to "get" some things by this rap - although I don't they're going to play it at Four Square Youth Retreat OR the radio much :-)

Soulpadre said...

Play it twice at the reception, Susan! Because most people will think it was a slip-up by the DJ, who can announce something like this:

"And if you're tongue is still hanging out after this last one, here we go again (here we go, here we go, etc.)

BTW, if you check out some Paul Lawrence Dunbar you will find many literary elements which artists have brought to the rap genre! (Booyah!)

Post a Comment